WPUK Manifesto: write to your MP/AM/MSP
MPs respond best to original letters from individuals. Below you will find a model letter but it is best if you adapt it to suit your own style.
Pick 2-3 demands from the WPUK manifesto that matter to you.
- For each demand, explain why it matters to you.
- Use personal knowledge and/or experience to add details and evidence.
- Explain why you think the WPUK demand will help address this issue.
Ask them to respond indicating whether they agree with you or not and what they intend to do – either to implement the demand or explaining any alternative action they intend to take.
If you can, print off a copy of the manifesto and include it with your letter. Here is a PDF suitable for home printing:
Please let us know you have written to your political representative and their response.
I am very concerned about the state of women’s rights in the UK.
I am writing to you as my representative in [*Westminster/Holyrood/Welsh Assembly] to ask you to consider
[IF WRITING TO A MEMBER OF THE PARTY OF GOVERNMENT]
- implementing the demands in the Woman’s Place UK manifesto
[IF WRITING TO A MEMBER OF AN OPPOSITION PARTY]
- adopting the Woman’s Place demands in your next election manifesto
In particular, I would like to draw your attention to the following demands.
- Quote “Demand X…”
- Say why you think this is an issue that needs addressing
- Use evidence from your own life or other knowledge
- Explain why you think this demand will address this issue
- Repeat for any other demands that you quote.
Please let me know what you think of the manifesto and these demands in particular.
If you agree with them, I would like to know what you intend to do to enact them.
If you do not, please reply with any alternative actions you intend to take to address my concerns.
We believe that it is important to share a range of viewpoints on women’s rights and advancement from different perspectives. WPUK does not necessarily agree or endorse all the views that we share.