MPs respond best to original letters from individuals. Below you will find a model letter but it is best if you adapt it to suit your own style.
Pick 2-3 demands from the WPUK manifesto that matter to you.
- For each demand, explain why it matters to you.
- Use personal knowledge and/or experience to add details and evidence.
- Explain why you think the WPUK demand will help address this issue.
Ask them to respond indicating whether they agree with you or not and what they intend to do – either to implement the demand or explaining any alternative action they intend to take.
If you can, print off a copy of the manifesto and include it with your letter. Here is a PDF suitable for home printing:
Please let us know you have written to your political representative and their response.
I am very concerned about the state of women’s rights in the UK.
I am writing to you as my representative in [*Westminster/Holyrood/Welsh Assembly] to ask you to consider
[IF WRITING TO A MEMBER OF THE PARTY OF GOVERNMENT]
- implementing the demands in the Woman’s Place UK manifesto
[IF WRITING TO A MEMBER OF AN OPPOSITION PARTY]
- adopting the Woman’s Place demands in your next election manifesto
In particular, I would like to draw your attention to the following demands.
- Quote “Demand X…”
- Say why you think this is an issue that needs addressing
- Use evidence from your own life or other knowledge
- Explain why you think this demand will address this issue
- Repeat for any other demands that you quote.
Please let me know what you think of the manifesto and these demands in particular.
If you agree with them, I would like to know what you intend to do to enact them.
If you do not, please reply with any alternative actions you intend to take to address my concerns.